Augusta City Government had significant achievements in 2015 with respect to all of its annual goals. Achievements included:
- The opening of Cony Flatiron housing, and approval of Hodgkins School housing
- Assistance to Maine Instrument Flight in building a new hangar
- Groundbreaking for Western Avenue hotel
- Construction underway on Lithgow expansion
- Hiring of two detectives to investigate drug trafficking
- Increasing the MDOT commitment to the Mount Vernon Street project from $1.2 to $4.0 million
- Revising Hospital Street road project to include reconstruction of sidewalks and curbs
- Drafting of Historic Protection ordinance
- Institution of vacant properties registry
- Testing and adoption of single stream recycling program with EcoMaine.
Still, though progress was made on all goals, there were so many recommended actions in 2015 that some have not been addressed. This year, in order to create more focus, the Mayor and Council have only included goals and actions that have the support of a majority of Council members (5). Those ideas which did not make the list are not dead for 2016; any councilor or councilors can bring up any idea at any time during the year. It just means that those ideas are not Council-wide goals for achievement in 2016. The list of actions that were proposed, but not supported by a majority of Council members, is provided in the Appendix to this report. On the other side of the coin, some of the goals and actions which are included on the list were not unanimously supported at the retreat. All councilors, whether they supported or opposed the inclusion of these goals and actions at the retreat, have the right to oppose these ideas when they come up on a Council agenda during 2016.
Click here to view the full list of council goals.