Old Fort Western – Old Fort Western, built in 1754 and a National Historic Landmark, is Maine’s and New England’s oldest surviving wooden fort – a reminder of the great contest of cultures that dominated New England life 250 years ago. James Howard’s Company garrisoned the Fort and guarded the head of navigation on the Kennebec in the 1750s and 60s. Benedict Arnold used the Fortsite as a staging point for his assault on Quebec during the American Revolution.
Kennebec Arsenal – The Kennebec Arsenal is the most intact early nineteenth century munitions depot in the United States. Built between 1828-1838, the complex of eight granite buildings occupies a commanding location on the east bank of the Kennebec River. The size of this facility was directly related to the Northeast Boundary Controversy, a border dispute which lasted from 1820-1842 and almost led to a third war with Great Britain.
Cony Flatiron – “In 1815, at the corner of Bangor and Cony streets, Judge Daniel Cony erected a building. At first a mystery, it was soon announced to be an academy for girls. Cony, a strong supporter of education. The Female Academy opened in 1816, moved across the street to a new space in 1844, then closed in 1857. In l880 on the new site, the Trustees erected a modern high school and leased it to the City. The new school, known as Cony Free High School, was open and free to all Augusta scholars. By l908 the City controlled the property and in 1929-30 built the Flatiron Building. An addition was added in 1965. In 2006 the new Cony High School, located further up Cony Street, opened. Daniel Cony’s legacy continues” (Museum in the Streets).
Olde Federal Building – “Augusta’s ‘Castle’! When first opened in 1890, the Portland Transcript called 295 Water Street ‘one of the most picturesque public buildings that the government has bestowed upon any city in the Union.’ Built of Hallowell granite and complete with a corner tower, Roman arches, a winding staircase, and 32,000 square feet of space, it was built in response to the growth of Augusta’s publishing industry. It served as the city’s main post office until the 1960s. Now known as The Olde Federal Building, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974″ (Museum in the Streets).
State House – The Maine State House in Augusta, Maine is the state capitol of the State of Maine. The building was completed in 1832, one year after Augusta became the capital of Maine. Built using Maine granite, the State House was based on the design of the Massachusetts State House (Maine was formerly part of Massachusetts, and became a separate state in 1820).
Blaine House – The Blaine House, located on the corner of State and Capitol Streets, was built in the Federalist style in 1833. In 1872, the motif was changed to Victorian & Italian style, and in 1919, noted Maine architect, John Calvin Stevens, remodeled the mansion to a semi-Colonial structure. A gift to the state from Mrs. Harriet Blaine Beal, the house has been the official residence of Maine governors since 1919.
Governor Hill Mansion – In 1902 Governor John Freemont Hill commissioned Maine’s foremost architect, John Calvin Stevens, to design a home befitting the highest state office. Today, Governor Hill’s home serves the people of Maine as an event facility.
Colonial Theater – The Theater was opened in downtown Augusta in 1913. It featured silent films with live music until sound pictures were introduced in the late 1920s.
Monument Park – Prior to 1879, this park was known as the Augusta Mall and was the mustering point for the Kennebec Valley Civil War troops. Following that war, the Westside rotary site was conveyed to the city of Augusta in trust for a Civil War monument. Since that time, war memorials have been added for World War I and II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War.
Leave a Reply